Weldbank Lane, Chorley, Lancashire, PR7 3NQ
01257 249803

Exclusions & Fixed Term Suspensions from school

The headteacher of a school or academy can take a decision to exclude a pupil from the school for a fixed period of days or permanently.  This applies to maintained nursery schools, primary schools, secondary schools, nursery classes and sixth forms.

Academies may have procedures which vary from those described here, you can find out more information from individual academies.

The headteacher can take a decision to exclude or suspend a pupil:

  • In response to serious breaches of a school's discipline policy - all schools have a written policy which sets out how pupils are expected to behave.  Our school policies can be found here.

Where allowing your child to remain in school would seriously harm the education and welfare of your child or others in the school.


*** Your child CANNOT attend their school during any period of suspension ***

*** If your child is found in a public place during normal school hours during
the first five school days of exclusion or suspension then you may be prosecuted or
given a fixed penalty notice. It is your responsibility to ensure that your
child is not in a public place during any exclusion or suspension ***

Types of Exclusions/Suspensions
There are two kinds of exclusion - fixed term/period suspension and permanent. Alternative education arrangements and procedures for challenging the exclusion or suspension will depend on the type.

For advice about exclusions or suspensions - for Preston, South Ribble, Chorley, West Lancs please contact:

Tel: Exclusions from School 01772 532190 or 01772 534263

Open Monday - Friday, 9am - 5pm. Closed for bank holidays.

South Area Education Office
Level 1 Christ Church Precinct
County Hall

Further information is available on Exclusions from School on the Lancashire County Council's website or you can use the Contacts & Independent Advice Panel below.


Contacts & Independent Advice

For information or advice, please contact your area education office.

Special Educational Needs - Integrated Assessment Team

South Area: 01772 531836

Independent advice is available from:

The Advisory Centre for Education (ACE)
Please note that ACE is not connected to Lancashire County Council.


The Coram Children’s Legal Centre is a national charity and provides advice on exclusions.